journal

Court Data

What is a Typical SC Judge’s Career Path?

Data reveales that High Court judges who were advocates hold more Supreme Court positions than those from the subordinate judiciary.

and

17th Nov 2021

More

Court Data

Less than 45% of HC Judges are from the Subordinate Judiciary [2017-21]

43.6% of HC judges have been appointed from the subordinate judiciary and the remaining 56.4% were appointed directly from the Bar.

and

17th Nov 2021

More

The Desk

How Do We Appoint Supreme Court Judges?

The judiciary appoints its own judges - a common source of conflict with the executive. But what does the process entail?

28th Aug 2021

More

The Desk

A Profile of the Supreme Court: Gender, Regional and Religious Diversity

The Supreme Court bench has the highest number of women ever, maximum judges from the Bombay and Delhi High Courts and mostly Hindu judges.

28th Aug 2021

More

Court Data

The Average Tenure of an SC Justice has Increased by 282 Days

Over the last 21 years, the average tenure of Supreme Court judges has increased by 282 days.

30th Jun 2021

More

Court Data

Only One High Court Has a Woman Chief Justice

Out of 25, only one High Court has a woman Chief Justice as of 1st June, 2021.

28th Jun 2021

More

Court Data

Average Tenure of Judges elevated from the Bar is 6.04 years

The average tenure of a Supreme Court Judge elevated from the Bar is 6 years and 14 days.

26th Jun 2021

More

Court Data

SC Justices Spend an Average 14.7 Years in High Courts Before Elevation

We examine the average High Court tenure of the current sitting judges.

3rd Jun 2021

More

Court Data

The Average Tenure of a CJI is 1.5 Years

We examine the tenures of the 47 CJIs since 1950 and compare it with other common law jurisdictions.

24th Apr 2021

More

Court Data

63 SC Judges Appointed in the Last Decade, None in 2020

We examine the tenure of the 47 Chief Justices of India, and compare it with other common law jurisdictions.

19th Apr 2021

More

cases